5. Wine sellers are warning that their businesses will not survive if Donald Trump carries out his decision to raise taxes on European wine imports to 100%.
They want Washington to drop the proposal, which is in retaliation over European subsidies for Airbus.
4. Chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-treated beef will be kept out of the UK under any trade deal with the US, the environment secretary has promised.
Theresa Villiers told the BBC the current European Union ban on the two foods will be carried over into UK legislation after Brexit.
3. M&S said it overestimated demand for tight-fitting men's clothing in the run-up to Christmas.
M&S boss, Steve Rowe, said "disappointing" sales, due to a surplus of skinny menswear, held the firm back from a stronger performance over Christmas which offset higher food sales.
2. Lawmakers approved legislation yesterday which will allow Britain to leave the European Union on January 31st with an exit deal.
They voted by a majority of 99 votes in favour of the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill, which implements an exit deal agreed with the EU last year.
1. British employers last month increased their number of new permanent staff for the first time in a year, reflecting a modest rise in optimism after December’s election.
The figures add to signs that business confidence nudged up at the tail end of 2019, after being depressed by uncertainty over Brexit and the unclear political outlook.
The information, investment views and recommendations in this article are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing in this article should be construed as a solicitation to buy or sell any financial product relating to any companies under discussion or to engage in or refrain from doing so or engaging in any other transaction. Any opinions or comments are made to the best of the knowledge and belief of the writer but no responsibility is accepted for actions based on such opinions or comments. Vox Markets may receive payment from companies mentioned for enhanced profiling or publication presence. The writer may or may not hold investments in the companies under discussion.
SP Angel research note on commodities and miners, featuring: Rio Tinto (RIO LN) – Q4 and 2019 production results highlight “value over volume” Sibanye-Stillwater - cuts close to 1,142 jobs at the Marikana platinum mines despite record palladium prices
Russ Mould, Investment Director at stockbroker AJ Bell talks about Five Ways to Take the Markets’ Temperature.
The news follows two initial orders made by the group’s Nigerian distribution partner for a combined total of 250,000 tests in December which Omega said at the time remained conditional upon MOH’s approval of the test into Nigeria’s national HIV policy.
“The process to finalise a tariff offer for submission to EDM is well underway and on track for submission in Q1 2020,” said Chief Executive, Hanno Pengilly, commenting on the power project which epitomises one of the fastest growing sectors in Africa today.
Paul Duffen, Executive Chairman of the Company, commented: "Having 100% ownership of Bet90 represents significant progress towards our stated objective to refocus the business on the core activity of online sportsbook and casino operations.”