5. UK cruise firm Saga are understood to have spoken to government officials to explore their potential use as hospitals and are awaiting a reply.
The luxury ships could provide space for more than 2,600 patients in separate cabins and have on-board medical facilities.
4. The global economy is already in a recession as the hit to economic activity from the coronavirus pandemic has become more widespread, according to economists polled by Reuters.
3. Jaguar Land Rover said late yesterday it would temporarily suspend production at its UK manufacturing facilities from next week to curb the coronavirus’ spread.
The carmaker said it intends to resume production at the facilities in the week of April 20th.
2. The Bank of England has cut interest rates again in an emergency, the second cut in just over a week, bringing them down to 0.1% from 0.25% the lowest ever in the Bank's 325-year history.
The Bank said it would also increase its holdings of UK government and corporate bonds by £200bn with an effort to lower the cost of borrowing.
1. The chancellor is set to announce an employment and wage subsidy package to try to protect millions of jobs.
Talks went on into the night with business groups and union leaders, who urged the government to help pay wages amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The information, investment views and recommendations in this article are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing in this article should be construed as a solicitation to buy or sell any financial product relating to any companies under discussion or to engage in or refrain from doing so or engaging in any other transaction. Any opinions or comments are made to the best of the knowledge and belief of the writer but no responsibility is accepted for actions based on such opinions or comments. Vox Markets may receive payment from companies mentioned for enhanced profiling or publication presence. The writer may or may not hold investments in the companies under discussion.
Anglo Asian Mining (AAZ) announced on 26 March that it was evaluating alternative logistical options for the shipments of gold following the cessation of scheduled air flights and can now confirm it has shipped 4,688 ounces of gold doré MKS Finance SA (“MKS”) in Switzerland by air-charter.
Boris Johnson has spent the night in intensive care at a central London hospital after his coronavirus symptoms worsened. Mr Johnson has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to deputise "where necessary".
Maleeka Abbas, a 13 year old InterHigh Student from Holyport, Berkshire has been nominated for the Positive Role Model (AGE) at The National Diversity Awards 2020.