5. Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has cancelled a bid for collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, just two days after making an offer.
Sports Direct offered £15m, but was told by administrator KPMG it would need to offer up to £2m more than this.
4. According to the TUC, people on zero-hour contracts are more than twice as likely to work night shifts, and are paid a third less an hour, than other workers.
The Trade Union concluded the "exploitative" system should be banned.
3. Research from the London School of Economics’ Center has revealed the 2016 Brexit vote led to a 12% increase in foreign direct investment transactions, from Britain into the EU between mid-2016 and September 2018.
2. Philip Hammond must spend billions extra to end austerity, says think tank the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS).
To maintain per capita spending across government departments which don't have ring-fenced budgets, he must find an extra £5bn a year by 2023.
1. Theresa May has responded to Jeremy Corbyn's letter setting out his five demands for a Brexit deal.
The prime minister rejected his call for the UK to stay in a customs union with the EU but welcomed more talks with Labour on a Brexit agreement.
On today's podcast: Emmerson discuss the appointment of potash processing expert. Dev Clever Holding explain their innovative, interactive and immersive technologies. Chris Bailey covers Sainsbury's, Lloyds & Glencore.
SP Angel morning look at commodities and miners, featuring: Anglo Asian Mining (AAZ LN) BUY – 96p (from 108p) – Earnings update Glencore (GLEN LN) – Glencore claim record EBITDA on strong copper mine performance Landore Resources (LND LN) – BAM Gold Preliminary Economic Assessment Pan African Resources (PAF LN) – Earnings climb as operations refocus on profitable ounces Transense Technologies plc (TRT LN) – 2nd mining contract announced this week for mining heavy truck tracking & tyre pressure monitoring
In a conference call to investors and analysts, Motif Bio confirmed that the FDA had no questions over the clinical efficacy of Iclaprim. However the FDA stated it needs additional data to further evaluate the risk for liver toxicity before the NDA approval.
Five financial stories, trending today in a 70 second podcast, including: The number of people in work in the UK has continued to climb, with a record 32.6 million employed between October and December The jobless rate, remaining at 4%, is at its lowest since early 1975.