5. UK jobs are attracting less interest from European workers, figures released by some of the world's largest job search engines suggest.
The construction and healthcare industries have been the hardest hit.
4. SoftBank Group shares jumped 17% yesterday, adding $14 billion (£10.8 billion) to the Japanese tech investment giant’s market value, after it unveiled a surge in quarterly operating profit and a record share buyback worth $5.46 billion.
3. The Bank of England looks set to trim its forecasts for Britain’s growth today, reflecting the approach of a still uncertain Brexit in just 50 days’ time and a slowdown in many of the world’s big economies.
2. House builders registered plans to build 40,513 new homes in 4th Quarter of 2018 across the UK, up 2% from the same period in 2017, the National House-Building Council said.
That contrasted with 15% percent growth in the third quarter, although that surge was boosted by catch-up work after the beast from the east in early 2018.
1. Theresa May will return to Brussels later to press EU leaders for legally binding changes to the Brexit deal.
The PM will insist the UK will not be "trapped" in the backstop - the plan to avoid the return of Irish border checks should no UK-EU trade deal be in place.
On today's podcast: Emmerson discuss the appointment of potash processing expert. Dev Clever Holding explain their innovative, interactive and immersive technologies. Chris Bailey covers Sainsbury's, Lloyds & Glencore.
SP Angel morning look at commodities and miners, featuring: Anglo Asian Mining (AAZ LN) BUY – 96p (from 108p) – Earnings update Glencore (GLEN LN) – Glencore claim record EBITDA on strong copper mine performance Landore Resources (LND LN) – BAM Gold Preliminary Economic Assessment Pan African Resources (PAF LN) – Earnings climb as operations refocus on profitable ounces Transense Technologies plc (TRT LN) – 2nd mining contract announced this week for mining heavy truck tracking & tyre pressure monitoring
In a conference call to investors and analysts, Motif Bio confirmed that the FDA had no questions over the clinical efficacy of Iclaprim. However the FDA stated it needs additional data to further evaluate the risk for liver toxicity before the NDA approval.
Five financial stories, trending today in a 70 second podcast, including: The number of people in work in the UK has continued to climb, with a record 32.6 million employed between October and December The jobless rate, remaining at 4%, is at its lowest since early 1975.