5. The government is being sued for its decision to charter firms to run extra ferries, including one with no ships, in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
Channel Tunnel operator Eurotunnel, said the contracts, revealed after Christmas, were decided in a "secretive and flawed procurement process".
4. Debenhams is understood to have secured a cash injection of around £40m to buy it extra time as it battles to secure a longer term deal with lenders.
3. Chancellor Philip Hammond’s plan to turn the country’s budget deficit into a surplus in the mid-2020s is no longer credible after he relaxed his grip on public spending last year, British lawmakers said today.
2. Democrats and Republicans have reached an agreement in principle over border security to fund the US government and avert another partial shutdown.
1. The UK economy expanded at its slowest annual rate in six years in 2018 after a sharp contraction in December.
Growth in the year was 1.4%, down from 1.8% in 2017 and the slowest rate since 2012, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.
On today's podcast: Emmerson discuss the appointment of potash processing expert. Dev Clever Holding explain their innovative, interactive and immersive technologies. Chris Bailey covers Sainsbury's, Lloyds & Glencore.
SP Angel morning look at commodities and miners, featuring: Anglo Asian Mining (AAZ LN) BUY – 96p (from 108p) – Earnings update Glencore (GLEN LN) – Glencore claim record EBITDA on strong copper mine performance Landore Resources (LND LN) – BAM Gold Preliminary Economic Assessment Pan African Resources (PAF LN) – Earnings climb as operations refocus on profitable ounces Transense Technologies plc (TRT LN) – 2nd mining contract announced this week for mining heavy truck tracking & tyre pressure monitoring
In a conference call to investors and analysts, Motif Bio confirmed that the FDA had no questions over the clinical efficacy of Iclaprim. However the FDA stated it needs additional data to further evaluate the risk for liver toxicity before the NDA approval.
Five financial stories, trending today in a 70 second podcast, including: The number of people in work in the UK has continued to climb, with a record 32.6 million employed between October and December The jobless rate, remaining at 4%, is at its lowest since early 1975.