Below are the key morning headlines from today's papers, featuring the Financial Times, The Times, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail & more - see the full Press section here.
- Savills (SVS) profits drop on ‘challenging’ global conditions. Estate agency group says quieter markets in UK and Asia-Pacific have hit margins. Chief executive Jeremy Helsby said it was also because of investments being made by the firm, but pointed to rising political and economic uncertainty as the UK continued fractious Brexit talks with EU negotiators.
- Card Factory (CARD) blames weather as it tempers earnings expectations. Shares in the UK high street retailer dropped 10% after with a lower-than-expected earnings forecast.
- New Main Market listing Amigo Holdings (AMGO) edged down 0.5p to 282.5p despite RBC, Macquarie and JP Morgan initiating coverage of the lender with an “outperform” rating.
- Sequels are proving box office gold for Cineworld Group (CINE) . The world’s second-biggest cinema chain has predicted a strong year on the back of releases including Mission: Impossible — Fallout, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again and Incredibles 2.
- Worsening life expectancy trend lifts Legal & General Group (LGEN) . Life expectancy increasing slower means that insurers need to set aside less cash for pension payments and that let L&G release reserves last year that had been held back to pay customers.
- EKF Diagnostics Holdings (EKF) soared after the Cardiff-based company said first-half earnings were ahead of its expectations. Investors were also buoyed by an update on new deals, including a distribution agreement with the US-based McKesson Medical-Surgical for its haemoglobin analyser Diaspect, which has regulatory clearance.
- Vernalis plc (VER) which has recently focused on selling prescription cough medicine in the US, has agreed a sale to Ligand UK at 6.2p per share in cash, valuing it at about £32.7m.
Read our roundup of today's small cap news headlines & AIM risers, featuring a new contract win by 7digital, a share increase for specialist flooring company Airea, Venture Life group’s trading update & interim results, Biffa’s £16.2m acquisition of Weir Waste Services and Independent Oil & Gas’ £15m loan - read the full market roundup here.
Listen to today's podcast, featuring 7digital, BigDish, Bonhill, Russ Mould & John Meyer.
We have added a complete list of all current short positions taken against UK-listed companies.
We have just released the August edition of our IPO Watch digital magazine, which introduces you to the companies listing on the London Stock Exchange, featuring Sensyne Health, Strongbow Exploration and Gamfook Jewellery.
In today's blog, Malcy covers SDX Energy, Victoria Oil & Gas, Faroe Petroleum, Independent Oil & Gas and Upland Resources.
The United States has threatened to impose sanctions on Turkey if the country does not release a controversial American pastor, UK retail sales increased more than expected yesterday, growing by 0.7%, and trade talks between China and the US will take place next week.
Read our morning paper review featuring news that Amazon is considering setting up a UK insurance comparison site, the latest apprenticeships figures which fell by 31%, On The Beach's £20m acquisition & the Takeover Panel confirmation that Disney will have to offer at least £14 a share to buy Sky.
Oil prices fell today, with U.S. crude heading for a seventh weekly decline amid increasing concerns about slowing global economic growth.
Read SP Angel's view for today, which looks at the repercussions of the Genoa bridge collapse and news from Amur Minerals, Horizonte Minerals, IronRidge Resources, Shanta Gold, Stratex International and more.
Read our roundup of today's small cap news headlines & AIM risers, featuring Abzena, BigDish, Ashley House, Summit Therapeurics & more.